Most educators already have some familiarity with this topic as it has been a major focus of teacher professional development for some time. We hope this lesson will broaden your understanding and appreciation of formative assessment and your awareness of obstacles to its effective implementation.
In this lesson you will be introduced to:
- a definition of formative assessment;
- the difference between formative and summative assessment;
- five activities for successful formative assessment;
- obstacles to effective formative assessment implementation;
- suggestions for teachers and instructional leaders to implement and promote the formative assessment process; and,
- recommended activities and resources to deepen your understanding and use of formative assessment.
- Inside the Black Box: Raising Standards Through Classroom Assessment by Paul Black and Dylan Wiliam
- Integrating assessment with learning: What will it take to make it work? by Dylan Wiliam and Marnie Thompson (ETS)
- Attributes of Effective Formative Assessment prepared for the Council of Chief State School Officers
- Formative Assessment: What do teachers need to know and do? by Margaret Heritage
- Using the Formative Assessment Rubrics, Reflection and Observation Tools to Support Professional Reflection on Practice (Revised) by Caroline Wylie and Christine Lyon (ETS)
- Facilitator Guide to help you build the capacity of others using this video lesson.