This lesson will introduce you to important characteristics of effective curriculum-embedded performance assessments (CEPAs) to promote student engagement, foundational knowledge and deeper learning, and formative and summative assessment. We hope it motivates you to make CEPAs an occasional, if not regular, mode of instruction in your classroom.
In this lesson you will be introduced to:
- the definition of important terms like performance task, deeper learning, performance assessment, and curriculum-embedded performance assessment (CEPA);
- the sequence of activities involved in a sample curriculum-embedded performance assessment (CEPA);
- characteristics of effective curriculum-embedded performance assessments (CEPAs);
- suggestions for teachers and instructional leaders to improve CEPA use; and,
- recommended activities and resources to deepen your understanding and use of CEPAs.
- Sample CEPA Document: Heat Transfer from the Assessment Workshop
- CEPA Specifications Checklist from the Assessment Workshop
- The Power of Performance Assessments (MZD)
- Replace, Don’t Add On: Giving Performance Assessment a Chance by Dr. Stuart Kahl
- Facilitator Guide to help you build the capacity of others using this video lesson.